Panic attacks require a different approach but when a client is dealing with performance anxiety, stressed out moments and those times when everything just feels wrong, I have found a few things to be effective.
- Do your Breathing A B C’s
- while touching the roof of your mouth with the tip of your tongue
- and holding a calm image in your mind
In better moments…
1. Prepare a short note which can be read at any time – just a sentence or two written in your own hand – not a quote rather something which uses your own special words (play with colour and size of words too).
2. Journal/Talk session of worse case scenario(s) – I call these IF/THEN solutions… https://keleaquinn.com/2018/04/22/proof-planner-jump-start/. Spend time on creating solutions to each piece of POPCORN which is causing you negative stress
3. Create an SOS pack (this also is good for those with panic attacks, plane phobias) – take a little drawstring bag (choose colours, pattern, designs… there are materials you can draw on too), fill it with things which bring comfort – use as many senses as possible —> scent, music, journal, pictures, gloves (hands like warmth when anxious plus saves biting nails), tea bags, gum, sun glasses, lip balm… make it personal, easy to grab
Hugs are always included.